Lacey Act Compliance
Originally penned to prevent the trafficking of illegal wildlife, the US Lacey Act was amended in 2008 to include plants and plant products such as timber and paper. This legislation was the first of its kind to ban the trade in illegally sourced wood products from around the globe and importation into the United States.There are two major components to the timber amendments: a ban on trading plants or plant products harvested in violation of the law; and requires companies to declare the scientific name, value, quantity, and country of harvest origin for some products. All products sold by Global GEM Flooring, Inc fall well within the Lacey Act mandates.
The CARB Act is the composite wood products regulation is a California Air Resources Board (CARB) regulation that reduces public exposure to formaldehyde through the establishment of strict emission performance standards on particleboard, medium density fiberboard and hardwood plywood (collectively known as composite wood products). The regulation was adopted in 2007 and established two phases of emissions standards: (1) Phase I requires all finished goods, such as flooring, destined for sale or use in California to be made using complying composite wood products. (2) Phase 2 is a much more stringent set of rules for emissions. As of January, 2014 only Phase 2 products are legal for sale in California. All products sold by Global GEM Flooring, Inc are Phase 2 CARB compliant.
FloorScore®: is the most recognized indoor air quality (IAQ) certification standard for hard surface flooring materials, adhesives, and underlayments. Developed by SCS with the Resilient Floor Covering Institute (RFCI), a leading industry trade association of flooring manufacturers and suppliers, it qualifies for many green building schemes including LEED v4, WELL, BREEAM, and CHPS.
The Internet is a useful tool for researching companies and the products they make. Global Gem’s website, for example, offers product information and room scenes to assist in the flooring selection process. However, when it comes to the purchase, there is no substitute for personal, professional service and installation. Flooring is a substantial investment, and we highly recommend that consumers purchase flooring from a local Global GEM retailer in order to get the best service both during and after the sale.
- Global GEM cannot and will not guarantee that flooring purchased over the internet is ‘first-quality’. Only first-quality merchandise is covered by Global GEM’s product warranty. Keep in mind that a price that seems “too good to be true” probably is exactly that – too good to be true.
- Global GEM will not honor a warranty claim without a prior inspection by the Authorized Global GEM Retailer who sold you the product. This can prove difficult or impossible with an internet dealer as they may be located across the country from you.
- In order for the warranty to be valid, an Authorized Global GEM Retailer must provide the manufacturer proof that the product received was first quality material. When dealing with internet companies, finding a contact person can prove to be very difficult.
- Professional installation is key to the long-term performance of your Global GEM floor, and key to your satisfaction. The number one cause of consumer dissatisfaction with flooring performance and appearance is poor installation. Global GEM retailers have access to a network of professional installers who are proficient in installing all of our flooring products.
- Internet retailers pay the same price as your local Authorized Global GEM Retailer for our products. If the internet price is significantly less than a local Authorized Global GEM Retailer’s price prior to installation, you may not be buying the same thing! We know this to be true because we have actually uncovered internet retailers selling counterfeit “Global GEM” products, while representing them to be authentic.